Today is Black Friday, and with it comes my traditional amount of angst over the ridiculousness of this consumerist nightmare of a day. I'm always just a little bit grumpy the day after Thanksgiving since I have to come to grips with the fact that my favorite holiday will take another 364 days to come around again. That coupled with the fact that my relatives will be leaving again while I am stuck working as I have been for the entirety of my working years.
Still, there are many things to ponder today as the rest of the less desirable holidays approach. I didn't hold so much disdain for Christmas until about five or six years ago when I struck out on my own and started having children. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the holiday for the sake of my oldest son since he spends months reminding me that presents are at the top of his list of priorities. Once Halloween is over, it's all about the toys for that one.
Jacob is, of course, too young to care much about such trivialities, and seems too concerned with attempting to eat his own appendages instead of paying attention to other amusements. For me, however, Christmas is just another day to worry about the quintessential factor in my life. Money. That's something that I don't think I will ever be able to change. If I don't have it, I'm worrying about it, but if I do have it I waste it.
Enough about that though. I would rather not go off on a tangent about not having money that will remind me of the fact that the reason behind this is that I lack motivation and the general ambition requred to make myself more successful. It's depressing, and I'm cranky enough without trying to put myself down today.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.